Sunday, April 16, 2017

STATEMENT OF WALTER G. DENTON FOR PUBLICATION ON JUNGLEWATCH.INFO

Posted by Tim

The following statement was sent to me via email by Walter Denton on April 14 with his request to publish the statement on JungleWatch.

STATEMENT OF WALTER G. DENTON FOR PUBLICATION ON JUNGLEWATCH.INFO

I call this “My Journey to Justice and Healing for all Victims of Abuse”….

I have waited for a very long time to tell my story of SEXUAL ABUSE. I’ve carried this burden which weighed on me day in and day out throughout my childhood and adulthood life. There were so many times where I would breakdown and cry. I mean it didn’t matter where I was. I could be at work sitting in my office or driving somewhere in my car, I would just breakdown. 

It's painful and it hurts to think about what was taken away from me. I dreamt of being a Catholic Priest serving God our father and the people of Guam. It didn't matter what church I would serve in, what mattered the most was serving God and the people. 


After all the pain and suffering I had endured, I decided to come out and tell my story. I didn't know how to come out and tell my story until I got some advice and guidance from close friends of mine. On October 7, 2015, I sent my letter to Archbishop Krebs of New Zealand who took my letter to the Vatican and turned it over to His Holiness, Pope Francis PP.

A couple of months had passed before I heard from the Vatican or from anyone for that matter. One day I was on my way home and I got a call from Bishop Olmsted of Phoenix, Arizona. He explained to me that he was assigned to contact me and interview me regarding my story of Sexual Abuse. I met with Bishop Olmsted and I told him my story of what Archbishop Apuron had done to me. 

After my meeting with Bishop Olmsted I went back and saw him a few more times. During my last meeting he told me that he had informed the Vatican that my story was very credible and it had to be further investigated. 

Now fast forward to my Press Conference. The day before my Press Conference, on June 6, 2016 the Vatican removed Archbishop Apuron from Guam placing him on administrative leave and Pope Francis implemented a change in the church policy. 

On June 7, 2016   I had a press conference letting the people of Guam and the rest of the world know what Archbishop Apuron had done to me when I was an ALTAR BOY.  That was one of the hardest thing I have ever done publicly. Since then a lot of GOOD has happened on Guam and that’s due to all the hard work that many people have done in support of the victims.

Now since Mrs. Concepcion, Roy Quintanilla, Roland Sonida and I came out and told our story to the world, Archbishop Apuron is currently undergoing a Canonical Trial at the Vatican. I have been contacted by Father Wachs on behalf of Cardinal Burke to give my Testimony before the Tribunal. 

On March 17, 2017 I got the opportunity to meet with Cardinal Burke and his Tribunal which consisted of Father Wachs, the Prosecuting Attorney, and Archbishop Apuron’s Canon Lawyers at the Archbishops residence in San Francisco, CA to give my Testimony against Archbishop Apuron. 

Giving my testimony was another step for me in my healing process. Cardinal Burke and the Tribunal were there to hear my story and of course to ask questions. I spent almost three (3) hours giving my testimony. They didn’t try to trick me with questions or try to get me to say something wrong to use against me. It was nothing like that at all. 

So with that, I thank Cardinal Burke for allowing me to tell my story. Now, I only pray and hope that my testimony will help in the Vatican’s decision to remove Archbishop Apuron as the Archbishop of Guam.  I want to take this opportunity to thank Mrs. Concepcion for stepping forward and proving her testimony to Cardinal Burke and the Tribunal.  

To all the people of Guam, I truly thank you for all your love, support and understanding you have given us victims.  I will continue to fight not just for me but for all the people of Guam for justice and healing.

V/r
Walter G. Denton

Related
PACIFIC DAILY NEWS, April 16, 2017
Apuron accusers meet with Vatican tribunal
A former Agat altar boy and the mother of a now deceased altar boy testified before a Vatican tribunal for the canonical penal trial of Archbishop Anthony S. Apuron, who is accused of raping and sexually abusing four altar boys in the 1970s.

Walter G. Denton, who accused Apuron of raping him during a sleepover at a church rectory when he was 13 in 1977, said he gave his testimony to the Vatican tribunal led by Cardinal Raymond Leo Burke on March 17 at the Archbishop’s Residence in San Francisco, California.
CONTINUED

Recommendations by JungleWatch