Showing posts with label National Museum at the Cathedral Basilica. Show all posts
Showing posts with label National Museum at the Cathedral Basilica. Show all posts

Thursday, May 26, 2016

MAKING THE GUAM CHURCH AN "INTERNATIONAL ASS"

If you're planning to visit the Children's Art Exhibit today, don't bother going to where the FestPac schedule in today's PDN says it is. 



From a report I recently received, the Children were turned away from exhibiting their art at the Basilica Museum by David the Villain who after agreeing to host the FestPac event decided at the last minute to charge the FestPac organizers an exorbitant fee, causing the organizers to scramble to find another venue. 

Apparently, this schedule has appeared in the paper over the last several days with many people showing up at the Basilica "Museum" only to find the place empty and the doors locked. (Of course there is no such thing anymore as the Basilica Museum. It was dismantled after David the Villain got rid of Msgr. James. See related stories here.)

I was told the Children's exhibit and the other exhibits listed were moved to Agana Shopping Center. And while there's been a whole lot of hollering going on about the alleged lack of organization, how about a shoutout for Apuron, David the Villain. Adrian the Drain, OJ the primatologist, and the other jokers who are making an international ass out of our local church. 

Thursday, December 11, 2014

VANGIE LUJAN AND JAMES SANTOS ON "THE BUZZ" WITH JESSE LUJAN

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Vangie and James speak about the great loss to our community by the closure of the museum the very day it opened. Vangie speaks directly to the Archbishop's blaming Msgr. James for the closure of the Museum even though the Archbishop himself had already removed Msgr. James from his position as rector of the Cathedral several days earlier.






Wednesday, December 10, 2014

TONIGHT: VANGIE LUJAN ON THE BUZZ

It's the Lujan to Lujan connection tonight when Jesse "The Buzz" Lujan hosts Vangie "The Museum" Lujan, to talk about the letter she wrote to Archbishop Apuron in which she called him out for (what else is new) misleading the public as to the cause of the Museum's closure. 

Tune in tonight at 6:30pm to watch "The Buzz" with Jesse Lujan on KUAM.

Here's a copy of her letter:

October 30, 2014



Archbishop Anthony S. Apuron
Archdiocese of Agana
196Cuest San Ramon Ste B
Hagatna, Guam 96910-4334


Hafa Adai Archbishop Apuron,

I’ve become aware of statements you made during a recent visit to parishioners of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Church. When questioned about the abrupt closure of the National Museum of the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral- Basilica, I understand you responded that Monsignor James closed the museum. I must say I expected more from our island’s spiritual leader and I am disappointed that you continue to mislead people about this matter. After you made it abundantly clear that Monsignor James was not to have any authority over the museum, it hardly seems fair that you would now accuse him of closing the facility. In fact, Monsignor David is the only one who had the authority to either open or close the museum.

Below is a brief chronology of the events that transpired over the past few months with regard to the museum:

  • July 25:  Announcement that Monsignor David would now be responsible for museum operations.
  • Week of July 27:  I contacted Cathedral staff to find out if the museum would be opened as had been announced. Monsignor David, the new rector, and his administration did not respond.
  • August 1:  Mary Kidd gave me approval to move forward.
  • August 2:  Coreen Leon Guerrero, who identified herself as a representative of Monsignor David, informed me that the museum would in fact proceed as planned. At this time I noted that some families who had provided materials for the exhibits were concerned about the museum’s future and had already removed some of their personal collections. However, Monsignor Calvo’s family had agreed to loan their collections for a short while longer.
  • August 4, Father Adrian and Monsignor David contacted me about meeting to discuss opening the museum. Based on that conversation, it was quite clear that Monsignor David possessed the authority to open or close the museum. This fact was supported by statements made by Father Adrian Cristobal to KUAM News.
  • August 4:  The following item appeared in a KUAM News report:
“Today Archdiocese spokesperson Father Adrian Cristobal addressed the concerns of the island's Catholic community saying the museum's closure is only temporary. He added Monsignor David Quitugua is overseeing the transition, noting, "And in this change of administration Monsignor David desires that the persons that are you know involved with volunteering helping managing the museum that everything is order and that the transition process be taking place in such a way that we can assure that it will be open again and to assure to the public that the administration will be taking care of these things the new administration."
  • August 6:  A 10 a.m. meeting of museum volunteers was scheduled to determine the future for the museum. However, at 9:15 a.m., Mrs.  Kidd called to inform me that the meeting would be cancelled indefinitely due to other activities at the Cathedral. The former Finance Committee will be holding a press conference.

Throughout this situation, numerous announcements, including bulletin messages, have been made regarding the museum. Even if you did not actually write these messages, you, Monsignor David and Coreen Leon Guerrero must certainly have been aware of them. The fact that they continued suggests you condoned the messages, and it is disingenuous of you to state otherwise.

I was at the museum from 5:30 am to 2:30 pm, at no time did anyone informed me that the information announced was incorrect.

It is now October, months after this project began. I am troubled that you continue to blame Monsignor James and others for the museum closure. Neither Monsignor James nor the volunteers who spent countless hours preparing the facility have the authority or capacity to open or close the museum. I hope you will acknowledge this truth and proceed accordingly, rather than continuing to perpetuate falsehoods that have no place in our church or our community.

So you are now making your way throughout the various parishes making your pastoral visit.  For what? What is the purpose of this sudden decision on your part to hold these meetings, meetings such as the one at Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament?  Is it to defend yourself and continue to malign Monsignor James?  When is all this going to end?  When are you and Monsignor David going to stop blaming everyone but yourselves for how you’ve destroyed this archdiocese?

Since you refused my personal invitation to see the new layout of the museum during the Woman Chamber of Commerce presentation at the Government House in July, I have attached pictures of the museum to show you what you have destroyed.


Sincerely,




Evangeline C.D. Lujan
Parishioner of Agana Cathedral Basilica
Museum Volunteer

PDF downloadable copy here

Sunday, December 7, 2014

KUAM: PRECIOUS RELIGIOUS ARTIFACTS LAY VULNERABLE



Precious religious artifacts lay vulnerable

Posted: Dec 06, 2014 8:50 AM PGTUpdated: Dec 06, 2014 8:58 AM PGT
 by Jolene Toves


Guam - It has been about four months since the Dulce Nombre De Maria Cathedral Basilica National Museum was shutdown and although the artifacts remain in place, according to former museum volunteer and main coordinator Vangie Lujan, the priceless artifacts are withering away. (Read more on KUAM)

Monday, November 17, 2014

IN TODAY'S PACIFIC DAILY NEWS: THE MUSEUM

Catholic relics at risk: Former volunteers worry about artifacts in closed museum


Written by
Gaynor Dumat-ol Daleno
Pacific Daily News

Relics of saints and centuries-old baptismal records from the early days of Christianity on Guam are among historical pieces that have begun to deteriorate before a museum that houses them could open, concerned island residents said recently.

Sunday, November 16, 2014

CONCERNS RAISED FOR CLOSED CHURCH MUSEUM

There is a photo gallery on the PDN's website titled Concerns raised for closed church museum.

http://www.guampdn.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=M0&Dato=20141115&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=1115008&Ref=PH

How terrible. Years in the making. Thousands of volunteer hours. Millions of dollars donated. Priceless collections. All GONE with the Neo-takeover of the Cathedral. And while the Archdiocese of Agana burns, the Archbishop heads off on his Victory Lap world tour with his trophy priests.




Here are some other blog posts relative to this story. Archbishop Apuron has been telling people that it was Msgr. James who closed the museum, but we can be sure that it is another Apuron lie as Vangie Lujan demonstrates here.




Thursday, October 30, 2014

THE TRUTH ABOUT THE NATIONAL MUSEUM at the CATHEDRAL BASILICA

October 30, 2014



Archbishop Anthony S. Apuron
Archdiocese of Agana
196Cuest San Ramon Ste B
Hagatna, Guam 96910-4334


Hafa Adai Archbishop Apuron,

I’ve become aware of statements you made during a recent visit to parishioners of Our Lady of the Blessed Sacrament Church. When questioned about the abrupt closure of the National Museum of the Dulce Nombre de Maria Cathedral- Basilica, I understand you responded that Monsignor James closed the museum. I must say I expected more from our island’s spiritual leader and I am disappointed that you continue to mislead people about this matter. After you made it abundantly clear that Monsignor James was not to have any authority over the museum, it hardly seems fair that you would now accuse him of closing the facility. In fact, Monsignor David is the only one who had the authority to either open or close the museum.

Friday, August 8, 2014

I KNOW NOTHING, NOTHING, NOTHING!

‘Apuron had no knowledge of National Museum closure’

http://www.mvguam.com/local/news/36353-apuron-had-no-knowledge-of-national-museum-closure.html#.U-P_DoCSxOQ

‘Apuron was asked for financial statement in 2012’


http://www.mvguam.com/local/news/36330-apuron-was-asked-for-financial-statement-in-2012.html#.U-P_h4CSxOQ
 or here:
http://www.mvguam.com/local/news/36330-apuron-was-asked-for-financial-statement-in-2012.html?tmpl=component&print=1&layout=default&page=#.U-P_-YCSxOQ

Note: The Marianas Variety now has a pay for view online system so you may not be able to read these articles online without paying. You can always pick up a hard copy.

Here's a comment I made earlier upon learning of the museum's closure and the back story:

The order (to close the museum) did not come directly from Archbishop Apuron but it is still collateral damage due to him. After Msgr. James was fired, people who had donated family collections to the Museum began asking to have them back. The director Vangie Lujan attempted to get some direction from the new administration but there was NO REPLY. With no instruction, no assurance of the future, and the demand to return display items, the directors of the museum had no option but to shut it down. It truly is collateral damage and there is much more to come. It is still not certain who made the decision to close the actual doors. But IT IS VERY CERTAIN who did not reply. 

And as those who practice law know: Failure to reply IS a reply.

Sunday, August 3, 2014

SO WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT?

After hundreds of volunteer hours and with the special assistance and generous support of Duty Free, Archbishop Apuron SHUTS DOWN the Cathedral's museum just hours after it opens featuring a rare and unique display of Guam's cultural and Catholic Church history. The Neocatechumenal Way is now in full destruction mode.

IT IS TIME, PEOPLE. Archbishop Apuron is counting on you to say silent and submissive. It's up to you to prove him wrong. Let's use some of that campaign-type energy to do something ABOUT THIS!

Cathedral Museum closing following monsignor's removal

Posted: Aug 03, 2014 3:36 PM PGTUpdated: Aug 03, 2014 3:36 PM PGT

by Sabrina Salas Matanane

Guam - KUAM News has learned the National Museum at the Cathedral Basilica has closed indefinitely as of 1:30 Sunday afternoon. The closure follows Archbishop Anthony Apuron's removal of Monsignor James Benavente as Rector of the Archdiocese of Agana last week.