“...some people are wondering what is going on between the two of them that Fr. Paul is willing to sacrifice his priesthood for this particular man.”
“...so many complaints were coming in about why was he still working there and why were they so intimate.."
"....because he had built a stairway up to his room, his room was on the second floor..."
"...and he (Fr. Paul's friend) would come in the middle of the night with cases of beer and what not and stays there until the early morning...”
"Archbishop, your remarks have put me in a very bad light. I can only draw the worst of conclusions from your words “between the two of them.” Did you accuse me of a homosexual relationship with (name withheld)?"
"As you know, (name withheld) is married and that he and his wife have two daughters. Furthermore, did you accuse me of improperly using parish funds or resources to build a stairway to my room to further this relationship? As my predecessors and many parishioners can confirm, the stairway was there long before I was assigned to Santa Barbara."
"Archbishop, perhaps these attacks are part and parcel of the “painful and arduous” experience you threatened that I would experience if I did not accede to your demand to resign, but it is my sincere prayer that you immediately set the records straight on this matter as these remarks are slanderous and defamatory. I would like both a retraction and an apology in writing."
- Fr. Paul was treated like a dog when he was ruthlessly confronted with the demand to resign.
- He was treated like a dog when he returned from the meeting to find himself locked out of his office.
- He was treated like a dog when he was kicked to the curb and told to get out the rectory.
- He was treated like a dog when he was held up for public shame by being fired without an explanation.
- He was treated like a dog when he was stripped of his faculties.
- He was treated like a dog when the Archbishop did not respond to the motion to reconsider his removal.
- And he was treated like a dog when he was mocked, made fun of, and accused of building secret staircases to enable midnight trysts with a homosexual lover.
Go here for Part XIV