Posted by Tim
Ridiculous Ric (Eusebio) has had a lot to say the last few days and has made many claims:
- "...the ad hoc committee had a lack of knowledge about the seminary and revealed its "propagandistic aim and ideological nature" because the report was delivered to the media before seminary officials."
- "...the majority of RMS funds already comes from private donations, and the net subsidy from the Archdiocese for 2016 was only $26,100."
- "...the real amount of archdiocesan support to the seminary for the 2016 financial year was only five percent of the total budget."
- "...over the last five years, the archdiocese has contributed to priests’ formation in the seminary with an annual average of five to eight percent of the budget."
- "...during the 2016 financial year the priests related to the seminary donated $46,150 out of their salary, which the archdiocese counted instead as part of their contribution to the seminary."
- "...RMS can grant formation and lodging to our (seminarians) for $10,000 per year.”
- “the majority of the priests formed in the RMS...are serving in the parishes...where no other priest wants to go.”
- "...the seminarians at their institution are granted degrees that are internationally recognized by the Lateran University of Rome, by the Congregation for Catholic Education in the Vatican, and many civil universities in the world, including in the United States."
SOURCE (or here)
- "The unanimous approval of the Archdiocesan Finance Council to purchase the property known as the Hotel Accion was in order to permanently house the Redemptoris Mater Seminary."
- "The Redemptoris Mater House of Formation is a Corporation sole."
- "The deed of restriction…does not change ownership of the property."
- "This legal opinion was confirmed by the Lewis Roca Rothgerber law firm in Denver."
- "Seminarians graduate with a degree from the Lateran University."
Has Ridiculous Ric offered to provide a SINGLE DOCUMENT to support any of his claims? The ad hoc committee report which Eusebio criticizes was attached to over one hundred pages of documentation. What does Eusebio provide other than his mouth?
And as we can expect from a KIKO, Ridiculous Ric seems to have a problem with facts:
"the real amount of archdiocesan support to the seminary for the 2016 financial year was only five percent of the total budget."
On September 1, 2016 Ric Eusebio said this:
"the subsidy of the archdiocese is only about 12% of the total income."
"...the 2016 financial year, the archdiocese listed a subsidy for the seminary of $92,450. He said that of this sum, $64,800 was listed as “remuneration to the clergy,” or priests’ salaries, which every diocese is obligated to pay. Eusebio said therefore, the real subsidy for the seminary was only $26,100.
On September 1, 2016, Ric Eusebio said this:
"Last year the subsidized amount was $73,800 and the year before was $83,700." (There was no mention of an amount listed as "remuneration to the clergy." Apparently Eusebio just thought that up for the October 13 press conference.
"...the seminary’s low cost of living and formation saves the archdiocese money because the archdiocese only contributes about $500 to $800 for one seminarian per year.
On September 1, 2016, Ric Eusebio said this:
It is only costing (the Archdiocese) $9000 per year per seminarian
And then there's this:
"According to Eusebio, for the 2016 financial year, the archdiocese listed a subsidy for the seminary of $92,450. He said that of this sum, $64,800 was listed as “remuneration to the clergy,” or priests’ salaries, which every diocese is obligated to pay. "Eusebio's reference to "obligated to pay" is a reference to the obligatory stipend paid to incardinated priests or non-incardinated priests hired to work in the diocese. The obligatory amount is $900 per month or $10,800 per year. The amount referenced by Eusebio of $64,800 means that their are a total of six priests at RMS receiving the obligatory stipend.
Who are they?
The 2016 Directory for the Archdiocese shows only five priests at RMS:
- Fr. Pius Sammut, Rector
- Fr. Julio Cesar Sanchez, Vice Rector
- Fr. Juan Leandro, Spiritual Director
- Msgr. David C. Quitugua, Dean
- Fr. Francesco Asproni, Adjunct Professor
Sammut is supposedly gone, but that was only recently, so since Eusebio's reference is for the past year, we'll leave the list as is.
First, Sammut and Leandro are not incardinated in this diocese, nor do they work in it. They work specifically for the seminary, so they are not entitled to the obligatory stipend from the diocese. They must be paid directly by RMS.
So that leaves us just Sanchez, Quitugua, and Asproni. Quitugua was rector of the Cathedral so he was already getting his stipend for that position and while he could have collected an additional salary for his position as Dean, it was NOT the obligatory stipend. So that leaves us Sanchez and Asproni.
A case can be made that they are not entitled to the stipend either since they only work for RMS and do not appear to be assigned to any parish in the 2016 Directory, but let's leave them there for now.
So that's 2 priests receiving a total annual stipend of $10,800 or a total of $21,600.
Hey Ric, where's the other $43,200?
LOL. That's TRIPLE the amount that was spend on Msgr. James' ordination anniversary!