Congratulations to Msgr. James Benavente for pursuing to the end, for "running the race," for not growing "weary in well doing." While the declaration of "invalid" relative to the charges against him might be the best we can hope for at this moment, it is nevertheless, as Andrew Camacho so noted at the press conference, "a step in the right direction."
And also as noted in the previous post, all of this goes away should Apuron return, and he intends to do so! This is why Msgr. James was wise to say that this is NOT an occasion for celebration, but "let us roll up our sleeves." For we have only succeeded thus far in stopping the death fall of the diocese. There is much to do.
Msgr. James and those close to him worked long and hard to counter Apuron's attack. From the outset Msgr. James knew that this wasn't just about selfishly "restoring" his name, but about restoring the diocese. Apuron's attack on him was just one of several attacks to destroy the Catholic Church on Guam and pave the way for an aggressive and radical neo-insurgency which was intended to follow the crippling of Msgr. James.
In short, beating back Apuron's accusations meant beating back Apuron, and beating back Apuron meant beating back the Gennarini-Pius-led onslaught on this diocese. It has been a very hard fought battle (thus far) and some of it is documented below:
Post from January 2, 2015:
APOSTOLIC VISITORS: ON THE PULIC DESTRUCTION OF MSGR. JAMES BENAVENTE
Benavente Timeline from 7/25/14 to 1/2015
- 07/25/14 Decree, Removal, Catholic Cemeteries, Prot. 2014038
- 07/25/14 Decree, Removal, CathedralBasilica, Prot. 2014039.
- 07/25/14 Decree, Dissolution, Archdiocesan Development Group, Prot. 2014040.
- 07/26/14 Letter from JLGB to Parish/Finance Councils re removal.
- 07/31/14 Cor. 2014001, Letter from JLGB to AAA stating that requests for written allegations were requested on the following dates with no success of any documents:
- Friday, July 25th, twice, no response
- Saturday, July 26th, no response
- Sunday, July 27th, no response
- Tuesday, July 29th, no response
- Wednesday, July 30th, no response
- Thursday, July 31, no response (Cor. 2014001)
- 07/31/14 Prot. 2014045/ 045A, Decree/Appointment, Parochial Vicar, St. Anthony Church, Tamuning
- 08/08/2014 Letter from Attorney David J. Lujan to AAA re Allegations
- 08/11/14 Cor.2014002, JLGB: Request to Revoke Decree of Removal
- 08/19/14 Prot. 2014048, Letter from AAA denying request to Revoke
- 08/19/2014 Letter from AAA to Attorney Lujan
- 08/22/2014 Cor. 2014003, Letter from JLGB to AAA, voluntarily disclosing personal and family assets w/documents
- 09/01/2014 Letter of Appointment as Canon Lawyer for JLGB from Fr. Thomas Doyle, JCD, to AAA
- 09/02/2014 Cor. 2014004, Letter of Petition for the Revocation of Decree of Removal from JLGB to AAA
- 09/02/2014 Letter of Hierarchic Recourse against Decree issued to AAA by JLGB
- 09/02/2014 Letter of Hierarchic recourse against an administrative decree from JLGB to Cardinal Oullet, Cardinal Prefect, Congregation for the Bishops
- 09/04/2014 Letter to Archbishop Krebs, Apostolic Nunciature, informing him of documents sent to Holy See re Hierarachic Recourse against a Decree
- 11/05/2014 Letter from Cardinal Feloni, Prefect, Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, re Appeal
- 01/2015 - Meeting with Archbishops Hon and Krebs
Apuron vs Benavente Documents
- 06/26/2014. LETTER from Archbishop Apuron to Msgr. James Benavente acknowledging corrective action.
- 06/26/14. LETTER from Msgr. Benavente to Archbishop Apuron regarding the accounting corrections for the Catholic Cemeteries.
- 07/26/14. LETTER from Benavente to Cathedral employees about his removal.
- 07/29/2014: STATEMENT to Press from Archbishop Apuron re the removal of Msgr. James as a "change of administration."
- 07/30/14. STATEMENT to press by Archbishop Apuron publicly accusing Msgr. James though he never gave Msgr. James a list of the same charges.
- 07/31/14. STATEMENT by Apuron on economic problems (blamed on Msgr. James)
- 07/31/14. AVISO of reassignment of Msgr. James
- 08/03/14. UMATUNA accusations against Msgr. James
- 08/04/14. LETTER from presbyteral council to Apuron asking for clarification of firing of Msgr. James
- 08/06/14. PDN ARTICLE: Monsignor: Archbishop absolutely wrong
- 08/06/14. LETTER from Msgr. James to Apuron showing corrections
- 08/10/14. UMATNA edition which was withdrawn and destroyed after Apuron received a letter from Attorney David Lujan after the edition was printed.
- 08/19/14. KUAM story - Cristobal makes excuse for Apuron as to why he misrepresented the presbyteral council (see letter)
- 09/05/14. LETTER from the family of Msgr. James Benavente to Archbishop Apuron.
- 12/17/14. LETTER from Joe Rivera to Apuron showing proof that Apuron is wrong.
- 01/21/15. LETTER from David C. Quitugua trashing Benavente
- 01/23/15. STATEMENT from Apuron trashing Benavente - ignoring evidence produced by Joe Rivera.
Apuron vs Benavente JungleWatch posts link here
Apuron vs Benavente in the Media link here