If in fact title to the property is no longer in the name of the Archdiocese of Agana, and if in fact the Archbishop of Agana (a corporate sole) no longer controls this property, then the patrimony of the Archdiocese of Agana has been significantly harmed and the scandal is justified.
Thus, if Archbishop Apuron has documents to the contrary then he, as the spiritual father of the Archdiocese of Agana, has a "duty of care" to publish said documents and put the matter to rest lest more souls be scandalized and harmed.
2284 Scandal is an attitude or behavior which leads another to do evil. The person who gives scandal becomes his neighbor's tempter. He damages virtue and integrity; he may even draw his brother into spiritual death. Scandal is a grave offense if by deed or omission another is deliberately led into a grave offense.
2285 Scandal takes on a particular gravity by reason of the authority of those who cause it or the weakness of those who are scandalized. It prompted our Lord to utter this curse: "Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened round his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea." Scandal is grave when given by those who by nature or office are obliged to teach and educate others. Jesus reproaches the scribes and Pharisees on this account: he likens them to wolves in sheep's clothing.To date, Archbishop Apuron has publicly stated that he has three documents which back up his claim:
- Title Report
- Legal opinion from a Denver law firm
- Opinion from the Vatican commission on Legislative Texts
Thus we look forward to Archbishop Apuron's full disclosure of this legal opinion as well as the opinion from the Vatican commission.
We also look forward to how the opinion of a law firm not licensed to practice law in Guam and the opinion of a Vatican commission will hold up in a court of law relative to a real property transaction in the U.S. Territory of Guam.
- Publicly rejected the legitimate authority of the Magisterium of the Holy Catholic Church by his public criticism of the directive from the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Sacraments regarding the manner of distribution of Holy Communion in the Celebration of the Eucharist in the Neocatechumenal Way, causing immense scandal and distrust in the diocese entrusted to his care.
- Convened a meeting to concoct a lie to cover for what he said (on KOLG) and to recruit others to lie for him (several people can testify to this).
- Persistent violation of the norms governing the distribution of Holy Communion as provided for in the Statute of the Neocatechumenal Way (2008) in his weekly celebration of the Eucharist in his Neocatechumenal Way community and his public authorization of said violation.
- Public violation of the liturgical norms governing the restriction on lay people speaking during the Celebration of the Mass.
- Demonstrably permitted the teaching of a grave heresy (that Jesus is a sinner and “like us experienced the forgiveness of the Father) by one of the priests he invited to Guam to instruct candidates to the permanent diaconate, and when this grave heretical teaching was publicly exposed he said nothing to correct it.
- Removed a pastor (Fr. Paul Gofigan) from his his office without regard to the provisions set forth in Cann. 1740 - 1752.
- Made false accusations against the same priest, accusing him of subjecting his parish and the children of a nearby school to the danger of “great harm” by his permitting of a registered sex offender to volunteer at the parish when Apuron himself permitted the man to do the same thirteen years previously.
- Public slander and humiliation of the man and his family, even though he had fulfilled all obligations placed on him by the courts and the parole board.
- In front of approximately thirty members of the clergy, inferred that this man was in a homosexual relationship with Fr. Paul Gofigan.
- Accused Msgr. James Benavente of a long list of crimes but has never given him a copy of those accusations nor permitted him an opportunity to defend or explain himself.
- Sent a copy of those accusations against Msgr. James Benavente to the Media instead of engaging Msgr. James Benavente privately, something he still hasn't done.
- Several times permitted the same accusations against Msgr. James Benavente to be published in his archdiocesan newspaper while continuing to deny Msgr. James Benavente his right to defend and explain himself.
- Completely ignored the testimony of respected and professional men who were able to prove and document that most of Apuron's accusations against Msgr. James Benavente were false.
- Terminated en masse the members of the archdiocesan finance council who voted against his wish to convey title to the former Accion Hotel property to the Redemptoris Mater Seminary on the grounds that said conveyance would, as per Can. 1295, significantly “worsen the patrimonial condition” of the Archdiocese of Agana.
- On November 21, 2011, conveyed control of said property to the Redemptoris Mater Seminary in perpetuity without the knowledge or canonically required consent of the archdiocesan finance council, the college of consultors, the Holy See, and even the advice of his own Legal Counsel. (An Opinion of Counsel has since found that the deed was an "absolute conveyance of title.")
- Will not permit men desirous of serving the Archdiocese of Agana as diocesan priests to receive any priestly formation other than at the Redemptoris Mater Seminary, which as per its founding documents is established solely for forming priests “according to the life and practice of the Neocatechumenal Way.
- Caused great stress, anxiety, mistrust, and fear among the Catholic faithful of this archdiocese.
- Continues to avoid and even flaunt the concerns of these same faithful when they earnestly seek reconciliation and a remedy for these wrongs.
- Accused a lay group organized to represent the concerns of these same lay faithful as "plotting against the church.”
- And we're not done yet...