Dear Doctor Eusebio,
You write: “Oust the archbishop? Is this the same man who was lauded for leading the fight against gambling, abortion and same-sex marriage?”
No, Doctor, it is not the same man. The man before us now is a demonstrable liar, or at least willing to lie at someone’s behest.
No, Doctor, the Archbishop doesn’t need “a gun”, he simply threatens priests with “arduous and painful” closures to their assignments and banishment from their families, friends, parishes, and homes.
On March 28, 2008, Archbishop Apuron threatened three beloved Filipino priests to either serve the Neocatechumenal Way or GET OUT!
To one priest he wrote: “If you decide you will not serve, I will have to let you know now, that your time in this Archdiocese will be for only one year from the above date.”
To the two others he wrote: “If you do not agree to the above, then you are free to begin to look around for a benevolent bishop to accept you into his arch/diocese.”
You can read those letters here. The names of the priests were redacted to save them from even more pain that people like you and the Archbishop seem determined to inflict on men who love their Lord, their Church, their priesthood, and their people.
Lastly, you write: “What is the agenda behind these coordinated efforts to tarnish his name, reputation and office?”
We wish we knew. Who is putting the Archbishop up to taking all these amazingly stupid missteps? You were aiming at me with that question. How pathetic.
- Was it I who went to the press with false allegations against Msgr. James?
- Was it I who locked Fr. Paul out of his office and publicly kicked him into the street?
- Was it I who tried to illegally alienate the seminary property and then illegally fired the members of the finance council who opposed him? (See letter from Archbishop Balvo.)
- Was it I who lied to Aaron Quitugua about why he could not go to a real diocesan seminary?
- Was it I who slandered and maligned Fr. Paul in Tagaytay in front of 30 members of the clergy and is now slandering another priest in the same way?
- Was it I who incardinated John Wadeson and then hid his history, and as we are now learning, hid him as well after that history became known?
And you call me the enemy?
Doctor, do you really want to put your professional integrity on the line like this? Apparently so.