The Other The Elder
Part I was posted yesterday and was only a very short summary of the many wrongs of Quituqua The Other. Today we turn to Monsignor David I. A Quituqua, i.e. The Elder, who in contrast to The Other, speaks up for what's right. Some examples follow but first let's examine the some dynamics of group punishment.
When AA Hon, in front of the whole Presbyteral Council, pointed his finger at a priest and gave him a Class A Asschewing, the performance was for the Council as much as, or maybe more, for the priest. The not-so-subtle message is, "You displease me and you'll get the same." By now Hon is familiar with the lack luster performance of priests when Fr. Paul, Msgr. James, Roy and Doris were publicly trashed and perhaps thought he could emulate Apuron.
When Monsignor Quituqua The Elder stood up against tyrannical archbishops he sent a counter message that priests shouldn't be cowed by a bishop. Here is what others have said about Monsignor Quituqua The Elder:
I stand behind this comment and will accept any consequence of my words and actions. I do not speak for my peers who may need to own up to what they proclaim in public. I often speak my mind, and it does not get me a lot of invite to clergy meetings. I am fine with that. As the saying goes, "you are defined by the company you keep." A Spanish saying is even more apt, "Da me con quien andas y te dire' quien eres."
Minutes of July 14 Meeting. (First Meeting)
- 0:00 - Deacon Dominic Kim: going on about the audit
- 4:10 - Msgr. David I.A. Quitugua (the elder): tells Kim to move on to more important issues with the Nuncio
- 7:15 - Archbishop Martin Krebs explains his role and purpose of trip. Says "Guam is a diocese at war."
- 11:45 - Msgr. David I.A. Quitugua (the elder): here’s the problem – no unifier. Archbishop Apuron IS THE PROBLEM!
- 16:05 - Fr. Efren Adersario: frustrated at lack of action, Archbishop Apuron oblivious to problems, Apuron not in charge
- 24:30 - Deacon Bill Hagen: says "action plan" (CARA report) sits on shelf but cannot recall what its main points were
- 27:30 - Deacon Frank Tenorio: I love the Church and the Archbishop
- 32:20 - Msgr. Arroyo: people do not understand, they have a misconception about the NCW
- 40:10 - Richard Kidd: his experiences, felt outcast, not treated the same as RSM boys-medical insurance/clothing allow as an example
- 49:30 - Archbishop Krebs: need harmony, Archbishop Apuron wants to comment
- 50:35 - Archbishop Apuron: re Msgr. David Quitugua (the elder) says NCW liturgy ok, approved by Rome, re Richard Kidd-hard to recall that far back-need to look at it, RMS following Lateran/Rome, per Richard Kidd, says St Patrick's seminary messed up
- 52:45 - Fr. Richard Kidd: no problems at St Patricks, more should have that opportunity
- 54:15 - Fr. Tom McGrath – 2nd session needed
- 55:50 - Fr. Efren and Archbishop Apuron – this is internal issue and should stay that way, Archbishop Krebs – yes but there are no secrets
- 59:30 - Fr. Felix Leon Guerrero: what is the purpose of the meeting? We have been working for 6 years and no progress
- 1:00:30 - Archbishop Krebs - suggest we give 20-30 mins for individual comments, but then look at CARA report"
"The minutes of the clergy meeting with Archbishop Krebs, Tuesday, July 15, 2014
And then there's this:
*Special recognition to Father Efren Adversario. Father's courageous willingness to speak out deserves special recognition. Thank you, Father!